The aim of this module is to enable participants to improve their understanding of the role and nature of critical and creative thinking and to demonstrate an ability to apply them within their research practice. Learning outcomes from this module:The critical thinking component will enable:
- Familiarity with contemporary debates regarding what constitutes critical thinking and an appreciation of the limitations of a narrow account of criticality as reasoning, or informal logic.
- A nuanced awareness of how criticality manifests within ones own research, including the forms that it takes - particularly where it exceeds argument evaluation, the qualities, skills and dispositions involved, and when it is usefully deployed.
- Enhancement of existing critical apparatuses through a more detailed understanding of the reasoning process and a broader understanding of the various forms that critical thinking can take.
- Improved understanding of the conditions conducive to own creative processes
- Understanding of where one’s own conceptions of creativity sit in relation to various contemporary accounts of creative thinking
- Tools to apply to own research processes and project
This module will provide participants working in the area of creative arts, media and design* with the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the methodological research design implications of undertaking enquiry through practice. Participants are required to participate in collaborative activities and group discussions if they participate in a moderated offering. Learning outcomes from this module: On completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between Practice-Led Research and professional practice.
- Understand the major methodological principles that underpin the practice, including ethics and intellectual property implications.
- Understand key terms in Practice-Led Research
- Acquire knowledge of particular methods and approaches in Practice-Led Research.
- Develop an understanding of international benchmarks and quality assurance indicators in Practice-Led Research, including examination methods and ATN regulations.
- Consider exemplars of practical methods and approaches in Practice-Led Research
- Access a bibliography of important literature on the topic